Robert Nies, a member of the firm’s Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights Group, has served the business community for more than 25 years, advising on a wide range of bankruptcy and creditors’ rights issues, complex commercial litigations and mediations.
Rob has extensive nationwide experience in the areas of corporate insolvency and reorganization. He also has a niche litigation practice that pursues the fraudulent transfer of assets – particularly through the unlawful use of alter ego and successor entities – in state court litigation and subsequent bankruptcy filings.
A successful mediator in all aspects of bankruptcy and commercial litigation, Rob is a founding member and former master in both the New Jersey Bankruptcy Inns of Court and the Justice Marie L. Garibaldi American Inn of Court for Alternative Dispute Resolution. He brings a unique perspective to creative problem solving in the areas of bankruptcy and related litigation.
On September 1, 2017, Rob was appointed by the NJ Supreme Court to serve as a board chair for the NJ Lawyers Assistance Program and has served on the board of trustees since 2012.
- Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D., 1979)
- University of Delaware & Rutgers University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1976)
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
Rob has extensive nationwide experience in the areas of corporate insolvency and reorganization, including:
- Lead bankruptcy counsel for International Fidelity Insurance Corporation in the restructuring of multi-million dollar surety bond obligations in the Chapter 11 of East West Resort Development
- Representing the Chapter 11 Trustee for 15-13 Hempstead Properties in the sale of a 364 unit apartment complex on the Boardwalk in Atlantic City, NJ
- Lead bankruptcy counsel to the Official Creditors Committee in Velocita Corp.
- Representing The Bank of New York in the O’Brien Environmental Energy, Inc. Chapter 11 reorganization, in which he obtained a repayment of principal in full with interest for the client
- Lead bankruptcy counsel for the senior debenture committee in the first New Jersey casino bankruptcy filing, Resorts International
- Representing Forest Oil Corporation in the pursuit of a $40 million “take-or-pay” gas purchase contract claim in the Chapter 11 reorganization of Columbia Gas Transmission Corp.
- Representing Public Service Electric & Gas, Inc., in the Chapter 11 reorganization of Thermal Systems, Inc., opposing efforts to reject a $20 million “remediation” contract with PSEG
- Lead bankruptcy counsel for Skylands Park Management, Inc., a publicly owned, minor league baseball stadium, on a plan of reorganization that was confirmed through the use of proceeds of a public stock offering in Chapter 11
- Morris/Essex Health & Life Magazine, Top Lawyers, Bankruptcy and Workout (2022)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Commercial Litigation and Litigation - Bankruptcy (2007-2022)
- Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year," Litigation - Bankruptcy, New Jersey (2019)
- Chambers USA, New Jersey Bankruptcy/Restructuring (2011-2022)
- New Jersey Super Lawyers, Bankruptcy: Business, Business Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution (2006, 2008-2009, 2011-2022)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Rating (1995-2015)
- American Bar Association
- Essex County Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New Jersey Lawyers Assistance Program, Board Chair (2017-2018), Trustee (2012-2020)